These free printable Harry Potter DIY Paper Bows are very easy to make and can be used in many different ways. They can be a perfect party favor or decoration if you’re planning on throwing a Harry Potter themed birthday or any type of Harry Potter themed party.
The 4 Hogwarts Houses are included in this printable: Gryffindor (red), Slytherin (green), Hufflepuff (yellow) and Ravenclaw (blue).
I’ve included 3 different bow designs (Harry’s silhouette, 9 3/4 and HP lightning) for each of the 4 Hogwarts houses. So, if you print the 4 pages of the PDF you can end up with 12 different paper bows.
Let me show you how to make them and ideas on how you can use them. You can download the free printable further down this page.
(This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosures here.)
Different possible ways to use these DIY Harry Potter Paper Bows
- Turn them into costume accessories: headbands or bow ties (more details below)
- Glue a bow on top of a gift wrapped package (and also add one of these fun free printable Harry Potter gift tags)
- Glue them on drinking straws
- Spread them across your party table to add a pop of color
- Use them as a sorting hat: if you’re planning on creating “teams” for your Harry Potter party, use these bows to divide your guests into the 4 Hogwarts Houses by placing them in a box/bag and have each guest draw one.
- Use them as part of a game: as a reward; hide them around like an Easter egg hunt; etc.
- Craft station: each guest can make his or her own paper bow.
Instructions – How to make Paper Bows (+ video)
For this DIY you will need:
- PDF Printable Harry Potter Bow Ties – 4 pages (download file towards the bottom of the article)
- 1 sheet of Thick paper like brochure paper, photo paper or cardstock
- A pair of scissors (here’s my favorite one)
- Glue (this glue is definitely my favorite for papercrafts)
- A printer: if you like printables, I highly recommend investing in a printer that is HP Instant Ink compatible (here’s how I print as much as I want for free or super cheap)
I’m including a video so you can clearly see how to assemble it (if you can’t see the video, deactivate your ad blocker). Written instructions are below the video.
- Step 1: Fold in the edges of the yellow piece to center and glue down.
- Step 2: Place a dab of glue on top of the red piece and place the yellow bumps you just created in step 1.
- Step 3: Place the little ribbon over the middle of both red and yellow parts and glue in the back.
How to turn these Paper Bows into Headbands or Bow Ties
Just like my printable Hogwart House Ties, these Harry Potter Paper Bows can easily be used as a costume accessory: you can turn it into a head band for girls and bow ties for boys. Each guest could leave with his or her own Harry Potter accessory.
I personally turned these bows into headband for a party I threw for my nieces. You can see how I made them in the video above.
All you need is some cheap plastic headbands and adhesive glue dots. My glue dots method lasted all afternoon, but you can also use a glue gun if you’d like to make these Harry Potter headbands more durable.
Costume accessories are a great and easy way to get all your guests in a magical mood and make them all look a little more like wizards. Pair it with these printable Hogwarts House Ties and grab these cheap pair of Harry Potter glasses and there you go! You don’t need elaborate costumes to get kids imagination going, DIY accessories can do the trick!
Make sure to check out my other Harry Potter Free Printables to throw a Pinterest worthy HP Party in just a few clicks:
Download -Free Printable Harry DIY Potter Bow Ties
I create lots of free printables, if you want to make sure to be updated and receive exclusive freebies, join the Lovely Newsletter:You can also follow me on Pinterest to see all the awesome free printables I’ve spotted while browsing the web!
Disclaimer: All copyrights and trademarks of the character images are the property of their respective owners and are not affiliated with us in any way. This is a work of fan fiction using characters or ideas from the Harry Potter world, which is also trademarked by J. K. Rowling. I do not claim ownership over the characters used in my free printables.